Saturday, October 9, 2021

I'm not "there" yet

 There's so much of me that is still a work-in-progress.  

I'm learning to overcome the traumas in my life.  
I'm learning to show grace to myself and others. 
I'm learning and growing in my faith.  
I'm healing from the hurts of life. 

Meanwhile, I'm also learning that the things in my life I experience on a daily basis are making me into someone new.  

I am NOT the person I was at 18 when I left for college.  
I am NOT the person my mother was disappointed in because college changed me.  
I am NOT the newly-married wife flinching because my husband moved faster than I was prepared for.  
I am NOT the new mother scared to revisit my childhood traumas on my children.
I am NOT the mother of all the kids in all the schools trying to juggle all the things all the time.  

For now, I am a daughter of a flawed, dysfunctional family. 
I am a wife of a newly retired-from-the-Navy husband, trying to figure out what is next. 
I am the mom of a bunch of newly-minted adults, struggling to step back and let them handle things on their own, and working to reimagine my life rattling around in a house that is much too large for those of us still living in it.  
I am Mimi to some precious little people that I get to spend far too little time with.  
I am a coworker, friend, neighbor.  


No comments:

Post a Comment